Faxon and Billy Andrade today unveiled the final three PGA TOUR professionals participating in the charity golf tournament which drives millions of dollars to area charities: Harris English, Russell Henley and Erik Compton. These top-tier players round out the impressive field of 20 professional golfers who will compete in the June 22-24 charitable tournament at Rhode Island Country Club.
A rising star on the PGA TOUR, English is a two-time PGA TOUR winner, including a win at the 2013 FedEx St. Jude Classic and 2014 OHL Classic at Mayakoba, and currently ranks 7th in the FedEx Cup standings. Henley, who will be making his second consecutive appearance at the CVS Caremark Charity Classic, has also taken the PGA TOUR by storm posting two wins since turning pro in 2011. He currently holds the 30th position in the FedExCup standings.
Compton holds the distinction of being the only professional golfer in the world to compete with a transplanted heart. In 1992, Compton received his first heart transplant at the age of 12 and was forced to give up all contact sports. He learned how to play golf and six years later became the #1 ranked junior golfer in the United States and the 1998 AJGA Rolex Junior Player of the Year. He went on to become a two-time collegiate All-American and was named to both the US Walker Cup and Palmer Cup teams in 2001. In 2007, Compton suffered a major heart attack, which eventually led to a second heart transplant in May 2008. Since the second transplant, Compton has been a regular on the PGA TOUR, currently holding the 73rd position in the World Golf Rankings. Fittingly, Compton will be representing the American Heart Association during the CVS Caremark Charity Classic’s Closest-to-the-Pin contest. During regular play on Monday and Tuesday the golfer closest to the pin on 17 will win $25,000 for the charity they represent. English and Henley will be competing for City Year and Sojourner House, respectively.
Pairings for the 2014 CVS Caremark Charity Classic include defending champions Bo Van Pelt and Steve Stricker who last year set a tournament record for lowest winning score (25-under-par 117) as well as the 2011 champions Matt Kuchar and Zach Johnson. 2014 tournament pairings are:
Bo Van Pelt – Steve Stricker
Matt Kuchar – Zach Johnson
Russell Henley – Harris English
Hunter Mahan – Jason Dufner
Jimmy Walker – Peter Jacobsen
Morgan Pressel – Juli Inkster
Suzann Pettersen – Jonas Blixt
Lexi Thompson – Billy Horschel
Erik Compton – Brad Faxon
Bill Haas – Billy Andrade
The CVS Caremark Charity Classic uniquely offers sports enthusiasts the chance to enjoy world-class golf while helping to support hundreds of New England-area charities. Tournament week begins with the Pepsi Pro-Am on Sunday, June 22, followed by the two-day tournament on Monday, June 23 -Tuesday, June 24 at Rhode Island Country Club. Special tournament activities include:
- Path To Better Health – As a pharmacy innovation company and in keeping with the tournament’s tradition of introducing new and exciting elements, new this year is the “Path to Better Health”presented by AstraZeneca– a walking path around the course that features interactive health and wellness stations. From skin screenings and simple exercise and stretching stations to nutritional advice and more, area experts will host interactive and educational stations along the path. Fans can participate in the fun and educational activities as they follow the pros around the golf course. What’s more, the first 1,000 guests to check in at the tournament’s new health and wellness expo on Monday and Tuesday, June 23 and 24 will receive a pedometer to track their steps around the course. Fans who take the most steps daily can enter to win special prizes during the tournament.
- All Kids Can Three-Hole Challenge – Designed to offer kids of all abilities a chance to participate in the tournament and experience golf like the pros, the All Kids Can Three-Hole Challenge, sponsored by Kimberly Clark, features a specially designed challenge on holes 16-18 the morning of Monday, June 23. Five foursomes, each comprised of kids representing a variety of the tournament’s charity partners, will participate in the fun activity.
- Pepsi Max Shootout – For the fourth consecutive year the tournament will host the Pepsi Max Shootout, where the first place team from each of the Pepsi Pro-Am shotguns will compete in a playoff during Monday’s professional tournament.
- Free Admission for Veterans and First Responders – The CVS Caremark Charity Classic is honoring veterans by offering complimentary admission for all active, reserve and retired Military Service Members and their dependents. Veterans simply present a valid Common Access Card or Retired Military Card at the gate any day throughout the three-day tournament. First responders, including police officers, firemen and emergency medical technicians, and their families also receive free admission with a valid ID. First responders simply present their badge and official photo ID card.
Tickets for the 2014 CVS Caremark Charity Classic are now on sale including a three-day pass ($60) and single, good-any-day tickets ($25). Children 17 and under are admitted free with a ticketed adult. The tournament offers a variety of ways to purchase tickets, including:
- Tickets For Charity Program – Fans can help their favorite CVS Caremark Charity Classic charity partner raise additional dollars by participating in the Tickets for Charity Program, which donates $5 from every ticket purchased on cvscharityclassic.com directly to the charity of your choice (among available options). Fans simply log onto cvscharityclassic.com and click the tickets icon, select their favorite charity from a list and complete the ticket purchase process. Fans can even make an additional personal donation to their selected charity.
CVS CAREMARK CHARITY CLASSIC FIELD FINALIZED – Page Three
- Special Ticket Offer at CVS/pharmacy Locations – Tickets for the 2014 CVS Caremark Charity Classic are available through a special offer at CVS/pharmacy locations in Rhode Island as well as select CVS/pharmacy locations in Southeastern Massachusetts. Fans can purchase select products to receive a voucher good for one Good-Any-Day ticket. Visit cvscharityclassic.com for details on eligible products.
- The Wine Lounge by Estancia Winery – Located on the 18th green at Rhode Island Country Club, The Wine Lounge by Estancia Winery offers first-class hospitality and amenities, including daily food and wine samplings. Offering spectacular, close-up views of tournament play, tickets to the pavilion tent are $50 per day for attendees ages 21 or older. Additional Wine Lounge ticket packages can be found at cvscharityclassic.com.
For additional information on tickets, fans can call 866-CVS-9441 or visit cvscharityclassic.com.
About the CVS Caremark Charity Classic
The CVS Caremark Charity Classic is Rhode Island’s largest charitable sporting event and hosts some of the best PGA and LPGA professional golfers in the world. Since 1999, the CVS Caremark Charity Classic has driven more than $17 million to charities around the region, providing vital funding for a variety of critical programs serving children, families and people in transition throughout Southeastern New England. For more information, visit cvscharityclassic.com.
About CVS Caremark
CVS Caremark is dedicated to helping people on their path to better health as the largest integrated pharmacy company in the United States. Through the Company’s more than 7,600 retail pharmacy stores; its leading pharmacy benefit manager serving more than 64 million plan members; and its retail health clinic system, the largest in the nation with more than 800 MinuteClinic locations, it is a market leader in mail order, retail and specialty pharmacy, retail clinics, and Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plans. As a pharmacy innovation company, CVS Caremark continually strives to improve health and lower costs by developing new approaches such as its unique Pharmacy Advisor program that helps people with chronic diseases such as diabetes obtain and stay on their medications. Find more information about CVS Caremark athttp://info.cvscaremark.com/.
WHAT'S YOUR REACTION?