WHAT'S YOUR REACTION?

January 9 — Golf’s new ‘It” duo, LPGA Tour player Natalie Gulbis and PGA Tour star Dustin Johnson, have nothing on New England’s newest golfing newlyweds. The pride of West Hartford, Conn., the LPGA’s Liz Janangelo, and former PGAer Jason Caron (West Yarmouth, Mass.) tied the knot Saturday in Jupiter, Fla.
The gossip that had lips flapping, of course, involved Gulbis’ acknowledgement that she and Johnson are an item. Gulbis confirmed Saturday that the couple’s relationship went beyond friendly Sunday Nassaus. The LPGA’s fan fave was among the spectators following DJ’s group during Saturday’s third round of the PGA’s Tournament of Champions in Hawaii.
The two reportedly hooked up after they played in the November Wendy’s 3-Tour Challenge.
“I’ll let Dustin handle our PR,” Gulbis told Golf.com. Johnson, who at 9-under was nine shots back of the leaders heading into Sunday’s final round at Kapalua, did not comment, according to the Associated Press.
The 25-year-old Johnson had two wins last year but gained renown for his bunker blunder during the 2010 PGA Championship. Gulbis, 28, played recently in colleague Morgan Pressel’s annual Morgan & Friends tourney to raise funds and awareness for breast cancer awareness. She has battled nagging back problems and had to withdraw from the LPGA’s 2010 season-ending Tour Championship, but told Golf.com she was “pain-free for the first time in years.”
As for the newlyweds, chronic hip and shoulder problems have plagued Janangelo, who told CTGolfer.com she would take sit out the 2011 season. After telling New England Golf Monthly in June she was stronger than ever following a rigorous winter fitness regimen, Janangelo made just one cut in 15 tourneys last year and withdrew as well from the Tour Championship.
A standout Connecticut amateur golfer, Janangelo won two national titles with Duke University. An LPGA Futures Tour regular, she has no status for the 2011 big league season. Caron, a veteran of the Nationwide Tour, did not make it through PGA Q-school and was reportedly considering working as a club pro or trying his hand on mini-tours and Monday PGA Tour qualifiers.

The Gulbis-Johnson gossip is nothing compared with the firestorm of controversy that Camilo Villegas’ DQ from the PGA season opener created. Read how New England golfer Dave Andrews dropped the virtual dime on Villegas’ rules snafu.

(Emily Kay is a regular contributor to New England Golf Monthly. Check her out on the Waggle Room, Boston Golf Examiner, and National Golf Examiner websites. To stay up to date with everything golf, you may also follow Kay on Twitter.)

WHAT'S YOUR REACTION?